Monday, January 29, 2007

Bean Power


Monday, January 29, 2007
Bean Power

“You will be a rich man one day”, I overheard this conversation when a man was busy talking with his five year old son in a café. I was astounded by his words not because he was weaving dreams for his son but due to the fact that he was just forging a materialistic web around a small kid drawing the line and restricting the scope of his imagination. I mean won’t it be reasonable for a father if he would have said “you ll be a good son or for that matter a good human being” Oops… I forgot its 21st century, an era of Globalization, and a Generation of speed, in short a mad drag race for money. No Doubt about the credibility of that man who was just doing a job of fine father. In fact, the day is not far off when you will teach your kid the very first word- ‘paisa’ ,say ‘bucks’ in US.
Though I was offended by that experience but my situation became more vulnerable when my sis asked me, “What is more important in life and which should we value more- money or ethics”. I was speechless; I couldn’t even dare to utter “Ethics, of course”. Deep inside my heart, I know the hard core fact that money keeps you moving. Gone are the days when we used to say “Love keeps you alive” or “value your values”. Still I wish I could have given my nod for ethics. It really hurts to go roundabout money for every little thing at every little moment.
I am not denying the hard headed reality that starting from the basic amenities (eg. Food, shelter, clothing) to our ever increasing demands and to even think out of the bounds- all you need is ‘M’ factor. Even a drop of water costs, an inch of land pricks your pocket, Fooh..get about the basic needs as human instinct craves more and more to satisfy his worth, ego. Your talent is judge by the weight of your pocket. How much green beans you can pay, not how much gray matter you have decides your admission to a college. Money has the power to get you any title, any award, it can make you vote for Osama bin laden as a Nobel prize winner for peace, Rabri Devi as the prime minister of India or for that matter you can keep mum over a child being sexually molested, a newly wed bride burnt alive and you won’t say a word thereby killing your conscience. Real power, uhhh!
All you hear is bucks, Jack, wad, Dineros, cabbage, paisa- all the synonyms for money all around. You are technically alive as long as you have the dough power, the bean power. Doesn’t it sound so very suffocating, a life without an ounce of life in it. No… don’t you dare to think in my way because it pains, it’s a mere clash of heart and mind. I admit to the fact that money is an indispensable aspect of living a life, can’t condemn it because man has the power to give the power to money. Now when he has passed on his hegemony, suzerainty to money, what’s the use kicking your…… shh. I mean it’s a paralyzed attempt to arouse our souls but I have hopes that even if few of us give it a thought, we can really make a difference. One day I hope to hear a son reminding his dad of the values and morals and then I will definitely say to my sis “ethics first”. I just wish, is it a hope against a hope.
12:32:19 PM
Posted By pooja chaudhary Comments (3) Society
Comments
Sid Monday, January 29, 2007 1:24:52 PM
"The whole thing is that ki bhaiya sabse bada Rupaiya"I think you are correct that in todays world money is becoming the only road to Jerusalem..Ethics and Money are two faces of a coin,they make sense and are productive if only they exist togather.So baby earn money...but dnt forget the ethics while using it
richa Monday, January 29, 2007 1:50:18 PM
GOOD THOUGHTS.....No matter how much money or fame u attain, atlast if u get defeated or u suffer in the end, and find it difficult to maintain ur life well, then the answer u are looking for is ETHICSUr deeds always come back to u, no matter where u try to escape blindfolded in the mirage of money and power.
K.Venugopal Monday, January 29, 2007 9:44:48 PM
Money is just an arrangement you make with fellow human-beings for taking care of each other's wants. The less wants you have, the less you would need money. You will come to the singularly happy situation of having less and less wants if you awaken more and more to the divine power within you. When you start seeing everything in that very blessed light of divinity, you would hardly need money

No comments: