Saturday, January 13, 2007

The Clown in me


Saturday, January 13, 2007
The Clown in me!
"I claim to be a simple individual liable to err like any other fellow mortal. I own, however, that I have humility enough to confess my errors and to retrace my steps," said Gandhiji, Father of the nation.
The recent telecast of two clippings on Gandhi culled from Internet by some TV Channels has once again raised a storm of sorts in the placid cup of tea, stirring the sentiments of nation that takes pride to be a democracy with freedom of expression as one of its strong foundations and Gandhiji as a symbol of national ethos, sadly more so in letters than in true spirit. Both the clips have been attributed by the media as well as masses to one Gautham Prasad, an Indian settled abroad. The comedy of errors begins here.
1. Only one of the two clips is by Gautham Prashad who lives in New York earning his livelihood as a clown. Someone who lives in Canada whose identity is yet to be confirmed has posted the other one.

2. The babus sitting in Information & Broadcasting like the cops in the neighborhood wake up only after the crime has been committed and now do want to leave any stone unturned to punish the "culprit". Both the clips had been on the Internet for quite sometime and so are many others that are insulting to the Indian psyche. They have gone to the extent of once again recommending, as per media reports, blocking the site that allows its members to put up videos. The policing of Internet whose essence is democracy will destroy the very basis of the Internet.
We need to understand that Internet is a "pull" medium and not a "push" medium. It is up to the individual what information to pull and what information not to pull, unlike in other media.
3. What is more important, the content or the intent? We have relied more on content than on the intent. Was the intent to ridicule the father of the nation or was it to deliver some message?
4. Can we claim honestly that we are following the Gandhian principles in our day-to-day life? Are we simple, peaceful, loving, honest or truthful?
Did Gandhi dream of a nation where female children are killed even before they are born, or if they are born they are raped and murdered or murdered and then raped? What kind of non-violence are we talking of? There are so many issues that Gandhiji would have expected us to indulge in rather than blazing our guns on those who have humor and wit in them.
Looking at the positive side of this controversy, the two clips have once again given us the opportunity to redeem our faith and kindle the desire to seek the Gandhi within us that was forgotten long time ago and to practice his ideals in true spirit.
Even though I do not want to condone what Gauthan Parsad has done but for the benefit of my dear readers I reproduce the email I received from him in response to my humble protest to him:
" Let me begin by saying I take full responsibility for the feelings this has caused. I realize this is a tender topic and is grateful for the opportunity to talk about it. I apologize for any offense this video has caused.
All of the feedback I have received from this video has been positive up until now. I opened my email inbox to 108 new emails, many of them criticizing my work, and many of them supporting me.
I made this video and posted it on the Internet as a marketing tool for my business as a performer. I was a clown with Ringling Bros. circus for two years and I currently perform stand up comedy and clowning in New York City. I also am a yoga teacher. Let me discuss this video from the point of view of clowning.
If you look closely, you can see that I am wearing a clown nose. Why is this? I do this because I am not playing Mahatma Gandhi; I am playing a CHARACTER who is playing Gandhiji. I am playing a fool who thinks it would be a good idea to dress up like Gandhi and do this dance. In reality, I'm making fun of myself. I realize this distinction may be difficult to understand, but as a performer it is crucial.
In comedy we have a simple equation. Comedy is tragedy plus time. You take something painful and over time you gain the maturity to laugh at it. That is what I have done. Also, throughout history clowns have been the only individuals able to comment on the upper classes. Nobody is above parody, and the clowns would parody kings and monarchs with no consequences.
Furthermore, if Gandhiji were alive today what would he find more upsetting, my video or the violence in Darfur? What would hurt him more, my video, or the violence in Iraq? We have become so intent on idolizing Gandhiji that we have forgotten what he said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world." We have confused the messenger with the message. If we truly want to honor him, we must uphold the principles he lived and died for.
We must embody peace, compassion, and non-violence. So many of the people who criticize my video have threatened to stone me, hit me, or kill me. I don't think Gandhiji would approve. I encourage people to tell me how they feel about the video. Let them respond honestly, but remember that there are much more pressing issues in the world than a video that one can choose not to watch. Thank you for this opportunity to speak." Gautham Prasad.
What is your take on this?
6:14:22 PM
Posted By Jatinder Vijh Comments (1) Society
Comments
K.Venugopal Saturday, January 13, 2007 10:53:51 PM
I think we have to become mature, at least vis-a-vis the internet. Everything is in there and let us put everything in there. Let us be open to everything and then make up our minds who is right, who is wrong or who is idiotic. Or let us not make up our minds. Whatever, mankind deserves a truly free medium. Let us cherish internet as that medium.

Freethinker Sunday, January 14, 2007 8:44:11 PM
Jatinder, you have stuck the nail right on the head, when you say that the net is a "pull" media.We can use it for whatever interests us, and by providing this freedom, the internet makes us free, gives us liberty, makes it democratic. Nothing compares to the explosion of knowledge provided by this medium.The babus have no other work than to do policing in order to collect their "haftas". Hopefully, in a decade from now babus will die of obsolescence as e-governance kicks in.

No comments: